Saturday, February 12, 2011

Surname Saturday - Gormley Brothers from Ireland


In reviewing notes fom September 2008 in my handy composition notebook, I came across information I had jotted down from the 1910 Federal Census.

In that census I noted that Patrick and Maggie Doyle (my paternal great-grandparents) who lived in a Manhattan apartment had as boarders three brothers with the last name of Gormley – James b: abt 1880; Patrick b: abt 1886; and Michael b: abt 1889.

James and Patrick Gormley were employed as laborers in a car stable; Michael worked as a doorman at a hotel. By 1920 the Gormley brothers had moved out of the Doyle apartment – and other “cousins” had moved in.  I have not traced these gentlemen further, so if there are any Gormley family researchers out there I would be interested in learning more about them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment