Saturday, February 26, 2011

Surname Saturday - Grover Family


A branch of my Aunt Beverly Shepard Agard’s family genealogy is the Grover family line, which is her mother’s maiden name.  For some reason, I could not find this family on any census in the Wellsville, New York area.  Such an uncomplicated name, I did, however, try several variations of spellings.  I finally called my aunt, who I found out is in a body cast because she had a recent fall.  She told me she was feeling quite sorry for herself that day, but as we talked and I asked her questions about her mom and that side of the family, my Aunt Beverly seemed to perk up.  Once she told me the names of her grandparents, Jacob and Annis Grover, I quickly found them on the 1900 census. Why I couldn’t before remains a mystery, and I shall blame the genealogy gremlin for that. Possibly the gremlin wanted me to give Beverly a call.

I do hope the Grover family lived in a large house, because in the 1900 census, I found Jacob and Annis living with eight of their children, and one son-in-law.  The married daughter living in the house with her husband was Nellie Grover Baldwin; he was Harry Baldwin, a stonemason. Another daughter was shown to be married one year, Edith Zuletbalt (sp), but without husband. Beverly’s mother, Ethel Grover was four years old.

Going back a generation, Jacob’s parents were Isaac and Delight Grover.  They lived in Rathbone, Steuben County, NY.

I ran off what I had so far on the Shepard genealogy and mailed it off to my aunt.  I look forward to calling her again to get more information on her mother’s siblings.  I am happy to report we are off and running with the Grover family history.

No comments:

Post a Comment